Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Temperature in my glove compartment

Yesterday I put the glass thermometer in my glove compartment at around 3:00 pm and checked it at 5:00 pm. My car had been parked in my driveway in direct sunlight.

The temperature in my glove compartment was 65 degrees Celsius at 5:00, corresponding to 149 degrees Fahrenheit. Wow! That is hot. I'm going to check it every two hours today.

This morning, it was only 26 Celsius at 7:00 am. So, that is less than half of what I saw yesterday. This reminds me that the pills in our glove compartments are not only getting really hot, but are actually cycling between hot and cool every twelve hours or so. At Pfizer, we did this kind of cycling study with medications, especially liquid forms, to see what might happen as they are shipped. Such as, if they got really cold in the cargo hold of a plane, and then warmed up in the back of a truck. You try to package things to keep a constant temperature, but we all know that it sometimes does not work out that way.

We are, according to the news, experiencing an East Coast Heatwave through Wednesday. And it is only June 10, so it is not really summer yet. I can just imagine the chemical reactions going on in those tablets.

2 comments:

chuck said...

You should ask Matt how long you should leave a Brisket in your glove compartment to slow cook it.

Im sorry we could never nail down a source of Indian Ibuprofen.

Wendy said...

I know I have read a story about people who cook food on their engine as they drive. There is a whole culture of travellers who do this.

I will not ask Matt that question or I will end up with a brisket in my glove compartment!