Monday, June 9, 2008

Temperatures across the country

Albuquerque: 69
Montrose CA: 85
Colorado Springs: 62
McMinnville OR: 55
Minneapolis: 71
Gainesville FL: 89
New York NY: 92
Cleveland TN: 90
Charleston SC: 83

I am glad I am in Charleston and not McMinnville or New York. I can't believe it is actually one degree cooler in Gainesville FL than Cleveland TN (my hometown).

I put a digital temperature probe in my glove compartment at noon today. When I checked it at 1:45, the digital screen had turned black because it was over the max of 50C, which is equal to 122 Farenheit. So, it is hotter than that in my glove compartment right now. And it is (according to weather.com) only 83 degrees right now in my zipcode. My car is parked on the street in direct sunlight.

Tomorrow I'll put an old fashioned glass thermometer in my glove compartment and try again. This requires a scientific thermometer, because drug-store variety only go up to around 110 F. If any of you have a scientific thermometer, feel free to take the temperature in your glove compartment at any time. Otherwise, I will just correlate the temperatures here in Charleston to my glove compartment and we can use that to approximate what is going on in other climates.

No comments: